Sunday 27 January 2008

Find Yourself A New Glass

Well, last time I blogged here I mentioned that this blog might take disturbing, new, socialite-like forms. Since I'm not one to let a reader (i.e. Nina...and, erm, that's it) down, what better way to start my Hilton-esque ramblings than with an account of my weekend?

Friday involved mucho twee indie fun at Offbeat, which was celebrating its 11th birthday. Keef, Elie, Tom and I bundled into a taxi and, while the boys went in search of a cash machine, Elie and I took advantage of a rather special drinks offer in the S1 bar: 'Buy two glasses of rosé wine and get the rest of the bottle free!'. Plonking ourselves onto some sofas, we met some of Elie's friends to compare mix CDs.

In celebration of its 11th birthday, you see, Offbeat was issuing its very first mix CD challenge. The idea was that you make a CD, hand it into the DJ booth and get given one by a fellow Offbeater, hopefully getting into some new music.

Mine was full of twee songs which were sure to please Offbeat's regular clientelle and I had even drawn balloons and an Offbeat birthday cake on the handmade (aka. a folded up piece of lilac thin card) case, so imagine my outrage when the CD I received didn't even have a tracklist! It just had the bloke's email address! I said to the others (now including OJ, Sleeves and Rob), 'This best be the best fucking mix CD EVER!'

After a second bottle of wine, what should come on but 'Bathroom Gurgle' by Late of the Pier? Thrilled that a song had come on that they actually knew, Keef and Tom quickly hightailed it to the dancefloor with Elie and I. We were bounding about like the bonafide nutters we are when I, obviously too caught up in the music and the alcohol, suddenly lost all control of my wine glass, which smashed on Offbeat's floor.

Utterly shocked, humiliated and highly amused, I stood at the bar for what felt like donkey's years, dreading asking for JUST a glass! Luckily the rather lovely barman just laughed and pretended it would cost me a pound and I happily toddled over to the bottle of rosé.

A few more glasses of wine and some Offbeat birthday cake (yummmm!) later, I was delightfully squiffy and ended up blurting out to Tom that I loved him. Luckily, he did not suddenly become very transfixed with his shoelaces, but seemed thrilled I'd said it and said he loved me too. A very happy bunny, I got into a taxi to get a few hours sleep before work on Saturday morning.

Work was, as usual, mind-numbingly boring, so I am not even going to write about that. At about 2, Tom picked me up to help him pick out some clothes and assist him in getting a haircut at Toni & Guy. I had been chirruping all week that I most definitely knew where it was - this, owever, turned out to be a big raging lie, as the hairdressers I thought it was was actually called Essensuals. After ringing Keef and De Facto, we eventually plumped for asking Jen, who was with De Facto (apparently, he hadn't answered because he was laden with bags from Holland & Barrett) and all met in a bar near to the actual Toni & Guy for a quick drink.

All of the employees at Toni & Guy look like they should be gracing the pages of i-D! I may have to go there for my next haircut, purely because their's looked so very good. Tom's looked lovely too and afterwards, I was quick to grab him and shout 'You can see more of that beautiful faaace!' in my best 'dinner lady' voice.

Tom and I had a lovely night in eating Chinese food, but I had to wake up ridiculously early to get a taxi home so I could get ready for work. Ironically, since one of our sets of keys has gone missing, both Mum and I were locked out. The duty of letting us in had been passed down to Nick, who, of course, was dead to the world and wouldn't even wake up when security rang the flat. Knowing I would be drastically late for work and having utterly given up trying to rouse my sleeping brother, Mum and I went for breakfast and had lovely chit chats. You haven't lived until you've sat eating Egg McMuffins with messy hair and eyeliner.

Hopefully, this coming week should be just as fun. The Oh My Word! boys have a gig on Monday and on Thursday, I'm on the guestlist for Blood Red Shoes, so I will update very soon.

P.S. The mix CD actually was rather brilliant. I've emailed the guy asking for a tracklist, but no reply so far...HMMBAH!

No comments: